Lisa Dungate, PsyD, LMHC
UPDATE: I am not currently accepting new clients, however, I’m developing a waitlist for some adults/couples for the fall of 2022. Please reach out to me directly to inquire. Thank you.
Dr. Dungate has worked in the mental health field for 30 years providing psychotherapeutic services to individual adults, couples, children/families, and in the area of organizational/employee wellness. She has worked in private practice, for social service agencies, and in the public school system. She has lived and worked throughout the U.S. and Canada, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia. She brings a uniquely compassionate and multicultural understanding to her counseling practice. Visit her parenting blog: www.lionswhiskers.com
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor in New York State
- Licensed Psychologist in California
- Certified Parenting Coach
- Certified Clinical Counselor/Psychotherapist in Canada
- Masters in Mental Health Counseling from Antioch University Seattle
- Doctorate in Psychology from California Southern University
Most recently, Dr. Dungate completed her post-doctoral licensure hours at ECS Psychological Services in Saratoga Springs. Her doctoral dissertation focused on mindful ways to boost resiliency during stressful and/or traumatic life events. She has also co-written a blog to help children and parents develop courage.
Dr. Dungate’s psychotherapeutic theoretical basis is a combination of:
Strengths-Based Solution-Focused; Developmental; Cognitive-Behavioral; Mindfulness Cognitive-Behavioral; Family Systems; EMDR (Eye-Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing); Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy; Acceptance and Commitment Therapy; Expressive Play Therapy and/or Emotion-Focused Couples Therapy; depending on your specific counseling needs.
Specific areas of specialty include:
- Child/adolescent development (including healing childhood trauma)
- Parenting (including parent-child attachment)
- Couples/family systems counseling (including collaborative divorce training)
- Mental health concerns: depression and anxiety, eating disorders, acute/post-traumatic stress disorder, stress/adjustment issues, addictions, grief/loss, postpartum depression, Asperger’s/Autism Spectrum Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), and Bipolar Disorder amongst other DSM-5 diagnoses
- Employee/family assistance counseling services
including critical incident stress management (CISM)
Dr. Dungate believes whole-heartedly in the possibility for positive change and healing through the process of psychotherapy. Dr. Dungate will work with you to create a treatment plan tailored to your or your family’s needs and hopes for the counseling process. At this time I am working via Telehealth with confidential sessions via remote.
Here are some helpful links, reminders for self-care at this time:
Elizabeth Gilbert’s “Facing Fear with Compassion”
And Joan Borysenko’s “Taking the Fear Out of Coronavirus”